India-Afghanistan Foundation (IAF) is a trust fund setup by the governments of India and Afghanistan which finances projects aimed at fostering India-Afghanistan relations through enhancement of economic, scientific educational, technical as well as cultural cooperation.
Under the auspices of government of India and the government of Afghanistan, a memorandum of understanding was signed in April 2007, bringing into existence the India-Afghanistan foundation.
In course of its existence since 2007, the IAF has been successful in achieving its goals and objectives.
To sum it up, the foundation endeavors to deeply entrench the relations between the people of the two countries.
The foundation consists of 10 board members and 2 secretaries. The two respective Ambassadors based in Delhi and Kabul are the co-chairpersons and the other eight members are nominated by the two governments. The present board members of the Foundation are as follows:
- HE. Dr. Shaida Mohammad Abdali
Ambassador of Afghanistan to India in New Delhi
- HE. Manpreet Vohra
Ambassador of India to Afghanistan in Kabul
- Abdul Ghafoor Liwal
- Deepak Mittal
- Noor Agha Noori
- Jayant Prasad
- Musa Arafii
- Gen Syed Ata Hasnain
- Khaliq Rashid
- Raja Mohan
- Merwis Nazari
- Ramkumar Thangaraj
Area of activities covered by the foundation
- Facilitating visits and exchanges between Afghanistan- India of scholars, academics, professional, artists and experts.
- Assisting activities such as seminars, symposia, colloquia and workshops on subjects of common interest.
- Extending financial support to those non-governmental organizations both in India-Afghanistan whose work facilities achievement of the objectives of the Foundation.
- Contributing towards publication of standard works on India-Afghanistan relations in specified fields.
- Encouraging the translation of the standard works of Afghanistan literature into Afghanistan languages and vice-versa and arranging for their publications.
- Education and culture
- Archeological studies
- Science and Technology
- Technical training
- Developmental studies
- Women’s studies
The IAF board meetings held so far:
- The first board meeting was held on 10-11 March 2008 in New Delhi
- The second board meeting was held on 19-20 February 2009 in New Delhi
- The third board meeting was held on 28-29 June 2009 in Kabul
- The fourth board meeting was held on 24-25 February 2010 in New Delhi
- The fifth board meeting was held on 15-17 September 2011 in Kabul
- The sixth board meeting was held on 21 January 2012 in New Delhi
- The seventh board meeting was held on 19 October 2013 in Kabul
- The eight board meeting was held on 11 March 2016 in New Delhi
- The Ninth board meeting was held on 18th October 2016 in Kabul
- The Tenth board meeting was held on 24th July 2017 in New Delhi